Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sandy Hook

I've been ruminating on this.  I have a daughter in kindergarten; its hard not to.  Then I saw in the paper this morning that NRA's answer is "a good guy with a gun" in every school.  I liked McSchwinn's response the best:  "they have shown that they are clearly out of ideas.  Its time to stop listening to them".

"A good guy with a gun" is a good analogy, I think, for the way people view roads.   There are a lot of people that feel that in order to be safe, you have to be inside a larger chunk of steel than the next guy.  In a way, they are right.  But that is not a game that I want to play and not a world I want to live in.  Its true that I might get run over by a car, but it would be certain  that I'm fat and unhappy and suffer a coronary event with the alternative. Why not design roads and vehicles in a way that looks out for the safety of everybody?  I don't want a doofus with a gun in my daughters school for that added false sense of safety, and I don't want to have to rely on a two ton machine just to get to work or the grocery store in one piece.

By the way, do you know what was state of the art with respect to guns when the Second Amendment was written?  Powder and loose balls.  A rifle wouldn't be invented for 100 years.  How many kindergartners do you think would have died if that kid had to stop and reload after every shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment